This past weekend, my sweet hubby surprised me with a romantic weekend getaway. We left as soon as I got home from school Friday. This is only the second Valentine's we have gotten to celebrate. Jake is usually in the middle of a "hitch" during Valentine's.
Valentine's is special for us not just because it's V-day, but because it marks the time we saw each other for the first time. Since Jake was mid-hitch when we were introduced, we could only meet up via phone. So, for me Valentine's Day marks the begining of something wonderful!
Here we are oh so excited about the trip...
Hahahahaha.
I was taking in the sites as we drove, wondering which destination we were headed for. I had pretty much decided (with the information I was provided-providing it wasn't misleading) that it was either: 1. New Orleans 2. Mobile 3. Somewhere on the coast 4. A boat in the middle of the gulf (if we weren't going to stop, go east or west...the water was the only thing left)
We saw some pretty interesting things along the way including: pink golf carts, risque advertising for a bbq place, and a limo & tattoo service in one building...we wondered if you got a discount on one service if you got the other...
It was about 6:30 when we arrived at Long Beach Lodge. What a pretty little place!
We checked-in and headed out for a bite to eat. Now, let me just say this...I have added and deleted several apps on my phone for their complete uselessness. But, one app has proven to be quite useful even though I have only used it twice and that is Urban Spoon. It helps you find places to eat. It gives you ratings, reviews, price ranges, directions...it's pretty fantastic. I chose to look at nearby places and noticed one place had 91% like ratings of 160 something votes and it was really close to the lodge and reasonable priced...Darwell's Cafe. We get there and we can tell by the overflowing parking lot and the crowd at the door this must be a good spot. We get in the door and the menu...WOW...it takes a minute to take it all in. We had a nice lady greet us and give us the skinny. I tell her how we found her and she tells me Guy Fieri has been here. Wait, what! I am not the Food Network junkie I used to be but I still like to catch things now and then. Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives is a fave because I think it's cool to see local favorite spots. And...we have landed in one! I was so excited! We got a sample taste of the "yum-yum" and all i can tell you is that it is "YUM-YUM"! We placed our order and went to get our drinks, which were served up by Papa D. Then we got a table right next to the local music for the night...actually we shared a table with her. Oh, ladies you get a special treat from Papa D when you get your drink...a little sassy art on your cup! This place was incredible, filled with art and all kinds of other fun stuff and lit up like a funky Christmas tree. The owner/chef Darwell made the rounds and visited with everybody. We told him about how we found him and he told us a little bit about his new adventures with Food Network (look for him) and he even brought me a signed menu!
As for the rest of the night...we headed for a little walk on the beach after dinner then back to lodge.
The next morning we had a scrumptious breakfast at the lodge and headed out for a day of exploration. We drove up and down the beach, did a little shopping in Gulfport, stopped in at the Hard Rock in Biloxi then back to Gulfport for a movie. It was a beautiful day and very relaxing.
Oh, we went back to Darwell's Cafe again for supper. I couldn't resist! Again, the food, people and atmosphere were fabulous. I could totally make that my weekend joint!
Darwell's from the inside...
Darwell's from the outside...night and day shot...
Sunday, we had breakfast and headed home. It was a great weekend and I can't wait to go back!
This was the first time I have been to the coast since Katrina hit. The damage is still so obvious and our coast is scarred forever but the people are re-building and working hard to make her beautiful once again. Everyone was so nice and welcoming. It made me proud to be a Mississippian.






0 comments:
Post a Comment